Driving Safety Course
If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to have the charge dismissed by taking a driving safety course (defensive driving). The request must be made in person, in writing, or online on or before the appearance date listed on your citation or you may lose your right to take the course.
You are eligible to request this course if you:
- Appear on or before the appearance date listed on your citation
- Have not requested and taken a driving safety course within the last 12 months for ticket dismissal
- Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation
- Do not hold a commercial driver's license (CDL)
- Did not commit one of the following serious traffic violations:
- Leave the scene of an accident
- Failed to give information at the scene of an accident
- Reckless driving
- Passing a school bus
- The offense was in a construction zone with workers present
- Speeding 25 mph of more over the posted limit
- Speeding at a rate of 95 mph or more
At the time of the request you must do the following:
- Enter a plea of nolo contendere (no contest)
- Present a valid Texas driver's license, unless active duty military or an active duty military spouse
- Pay court costs plus the non-refundable administrative fee ($144 unless cited in a school zone then the total is $169
- Swear or affirm an affidavit that you are not currently taking a driving safety course and you have not taken a course within the last 12 month period
Your case will be deferred for 90 days to allow you time to complete the driving safety course and acquire a type 3A certified copy of your driving record from the state of Texas.
Please contact the court with any further questions at 254-799-2436 ext. 6282 email the court.